Every year, several delegates finance their JASC / KASC / ChASC experience through need- and merit-based scholarships. Below is a list of resources to aid you in your search. Additional past sources of funding have been local businesses, nonprofit organizations focused on US-Japan/Korea/China relations, GoFundMe, and being sponsored by a family member. If you have any questions about financial aid, please contact us at email@example.com.
For suggestions on where to look for funding and a letter template for funding your request, please visit this page.
Note: ISC cannot guarantee that providers will be willing to cover the cost of the conference or to what extent. Furthermore, some scholarships may only be provided certain years, or for travel in a certain country. You will need to contact the sponsor directly for more information. Finally, your participation fees for JASC / KASC / ChASC must be paid by the established deadline, regardless of whether you have received funding at that point. Payment plans are available and accepted delegates should ask their conference Executive Committee if would like to set one up.
- Students pay a participation fee of 30% of the actual cost per student of these programs, thanks to our donors and supporters
- Many partner universities across the United States offer full scholarships to cover these participation fees to ensure their students have equitable access to these conferences
- ISC offers the Plant a Diplomatic Tree Scholarship to one student for each conference annually to support students with financial difficulties
- If you would like to become a supporter or arrange a scholarship to support students from your university, please contact Bahia Simons-Lane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- University at Buffalo Scholarships for JASC, KASC, and ChASC – One scholarship available per conference for UB Students
- Plant a Diplomatic Tree Scholarship – International Student Conferences offer a needs-based scholarship per conference annually
- University of Wisconsin-Madison – JASC Ichiro & Toyoko Matsudaira Memorial Fund Scholarship
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Center for East Asian Studies offers a scholarship for currently enrolled students
- UC Berkeley Center for Japanese Studies JASC Scholarship – for 2 Berkeley Students
- Center for Japanese Studies at UH-Mānoa JASC 75 Scholarship – for UH-Mānoa students (JASC 76 Scholarship details TBA)
- Excellent scholarship guide prepared by Oberlin University
- Island Institute Geiger Scholarship
- Cox Foundation Scholarship for Student Photojournalists
- New York University Conference Funding
- Smith College International Experience Grant
- Washington & Lee University Johnson Opportunity Grant
- Silicon Valley Community Foundation
- The Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University
- IIE Funding for U.S. Study (International Students)
- Benjamin A. Gilman international Scholarship
- Wake Forest University Undergraduate Students Stipends for Participation in Global Conferences/Activities
- Georgetown University Asian Studies Student Awards
- Central California Asia Pacific Women Scholarship
- Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Program
- Queer Asian and Pacific Islander Pride Scholarship Fund
- University of Pittsburgh Asian Studies Center Funding
- Association for Asia Studies Grants
- University of Hawa’ii Manoa Center for Japanese Studies Graduate Student Travel Award
- UW Madison Ichiro and Toyoko Matsudaira Memorial Fund
- Japanese American Community Graduation Program
- Japanese American Service Committee
- Japanese American Association of New York, Inc.
- Portland JACL
- Fresno JACL
- Chicago JACL
- National JACL Scholarship Program
- Twin Cities JACL
- San Jose JACL 2022
- Watsonville – Santa Cruz JACL
- San Diego JACL
- UC Berkeley Center for Korean Studies
- UH Hawai’ii Manoa Center for Korean Studies
- Stony Brook Center for Korean Studies
- The Anne H. Scott Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship in Chinese Studies
- The East and Inner Asia Council of the AAS Grants
If you would like to arrange a scholarship to support students from your university, please contact Bahia Simons-Lane at email@example.com.
Please notify us of omissions or errors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Plant a Diplomatic “Tree” Scholarship
Each year, International Student Conferences selects one accepted delegate for each conference to receive a needs based scholarship covering the full cost of participation in JASC, KASC, and ChASC. Learn more about the Scholarship.
Support 2024 Conference Delegates
During these challenging times, with education costs still rising faster than inflation, many students are finding the financial and opportunity cost of joining ISC conferences increasingly prohibitive, making participation difficult. Your donation today will allow more students to experience what ISC alumni experienced – conversations and friendships that many have called ‘indispensable’ to their lasting understanding of our complex world. This year, your impact is doubled with donations matched up to $6,000!