Every year, several delegates finance their JASC / KASC / ChASC experience through need- and merit-based scholarships. Below is a list of resources to aid you in your search. Additional past sources of funding have been local businesses, nonprofit organizations focused on US-Japan/Korea/China relations, GoFundMe, and being sponsored by a family member. If you have any questions about financial aid, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For suggestions on where to look for funding and a letter template for funding your request please download this PDF.
Note: ISC cannot guarantee that providers will be willing to cover the cost of the conference or to what extent. Furthermore, some scholarships may only be provided certain years, or for travel in a certain country. You will need to contact the sponsor directly for more information. Finally, your participation fees for JASC / KASC / ChASC must be paid by the established deadline, regardless of whether you have received funding at that point.
- Island Institute Geiger Scholarship
- Cox Foundation Scholarship for Student Photojournalists
- Washington & Lee University Johnson Opportunity Grant
- Silicon Valley Community Foundation
- The Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University
- IIE Funding for U.S. Study (International Students)
- Benjamin A. Gilman international Scholarship
- Georgetown University Asian Studies Student Awards
- Central California Asia Pacific Women Scholarship
- Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Program
- Queer Asian and Pacific Islander Pride Scholarship Fund
- University of Pittsburgh Asian Studies Center Funding
- Association for Asia Studies Grants
- UC Berkeley Center for Japanese Studies
- Center for Japanese Studies at UH-Mānoa JASC 75 Scholarship for current UH-Mānoa students
- University of Hawa’ii Manoa Center for Japanese Studies Graduate Student Travel Award
- UW Madison Ichiro and Toyoko Matsudaira Memorial Fund
- Japanese American Community Graduation Program
- Japanese American Service Committee
- Japanese American Association of New York, Inc.
- Portland JACL
- Fresno JACL
- Chicago JACL
- National JACL Scholarship Program
- Twin Cities JACL
- San Jose JACL 2022
- Watsonville – Santa Cruz JACL
- San Diego JACL
- UC Berkeley Center for Korean Studies
- UH Hawai’ii Manoa Center for Korean Studies
- Stony Brook Center for Korean Studies
- The Anne H. Scott Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship in Chinese Studies
- The East and Inner Asia Council of the AAS Grants
Many students are able to secure funding from their universities, especially from Asian Studies, Japan Studies, or International/Global Affairs departments. Below are some of the universities that have provided scholarships for their students. This is a partial list for planning purposes and there is no guarantee that all of these universities would still have scholarships available.
Example Funding Request Letter
How to Request Funding
Plant a Diplomatic “Tree” Scholarship
Each year, International Student Conferences selects one accepted delegate for each conference to receive a needs based scholarship covering the full cost of participation in JASC, KASC, and ChASC. Learn more about the Scholarship.
Support 2023 Conference Delegates
During these challenging times, with education costs still rising faster than inflation, many students are finding the financial and opportunity cost of joining ISC conferences increasingly prohibitive, making participation difficult. Your donation today will allow more students to experience what ISC alumni experienced – conversations and friendships that many have called ‘indispensable’ to their lasting understanding of our complex world. This year, your impact is doubled with donations matched up to $6,000!