International Student Conferences, Inc. (ISC) is a non-profit organization incorporated in Washington, DC.
It facilitates three academic and cultural exchange programs organized by university students in the U.S., Japan, and Korea: the China-America Student Conference (ChASC), the Korea-America Student Conference (KASC) and the Japan-America Student Conference (JASC). Beginning in 1934, JASC is the first and oldest exchange between the two countries that is conceived and carried out by university students. Patterned after the JASC model of a student-run Conference, the first KASC launched in 2008 and the first ChASC launched Winter 2020.
ISC believes in the long-term value of mutual understanding, friendship, and trust achieved through cultural interchange in student-run conferences. ISC delegates, volunteers, employees, board members, and alumni believe in the following core values for its student-run, cross-cultural conferences:
- The importance of developing mutual understanding and friendship as the path to peace.
- The power of an open mind and a willingness to exchange opinions in building a respect for differences.
- The unique ability of students, with their idealism, enthusiasm, and vitality, to plan and implement important peace-building events and activities.
- The imperative of investing in the present to positively transform the future.
- The absolute commitment to integrity, honesty, and frankness.
ISC programs provide an intensive, month-long experience in which equal numbers of students from the U.S. and partner country live, travel, work, and study together in a conference-like setting. What makes ISC programs unique is that, ever since its founding in 1934, ISC conferences are entirely planned and administered by the students themselves.
The students host round-tables, field trips, seminars, and distinguished speakers, working toward the goals of better understanding each other, forming friendships, gaining trust, and fostering international peace during their lifetimes. Every ISC gathering is characterized by full and frank discussions, undertaken with a spirit of understanding each other’s point of view.